Fax: (603) 744-3165
Fire Chief Mark Chevalier
Deputy Dave Odgen
FOR CURRENT FIRE DANGER INFORMATION AND TO FIND OUT IF THERE IS A RED FLAG WARNING, CLICK HERE.
FIRE PERMITS REQUIRED
It's the Law (NH RSA 227:17, I & II)
EVERY PERSON, firm or coporation who kindles or causes to be kindled any fire or shall burn or cause to be burned any material in or near the woodlands, or where fire could communicate to the woodlands, except when the ground is covered with snow where you are burning shall obtain a written fire permit from the forest fire warden in the town or city where the fire will be kindled.
There are several types of permits available:
- Only property owners are authorized to obtain a permit
- A tenant or friend may obtain a permit only with written permission of the land owner
- The Fire Department maintains an extensive file of owner letters givign authorization to issue burn permits for their tenants. A new letter is required to be filed each year.
Only wood which is clearn, not treated, painted or stained may be burned.
- CATEGORY I - cooking fire no greater than 2' in diameter. This fire may be kindled at any time of day. A daily or seasonal permit may be issues.
- CATEGORY II - cooking fire no greater than 4' in diameter. This fire may only be kindled between 5pm and 9pm. A daily or seasonal permit may be issued.
- CATEGORY III - A fire other than Category I or II fires. This fire may only be kindled between 5pm and 9pm. Permits will only be issued the day of use.
All open fires shall be constantly attended until the fire is completely extinguised.
Category I fires shall be kindled no closer than 25' from any structure.
Category II & III fires shall be kindled no closer than 50' from any structure.
You must be 18 years of age to obtain a written fire permit.
Category I & II fire permits can be obtained in the Selectmen's Office (603-744-3220), but you will need to provide a copy of the previous year's permit in order to get a permit for the current year.
All other fire permits, including permits to burn brush, are available from the following:
Mark Chevalier 603-455-1591
Deputy Fire Wardens:
Dave Ogden 603-744-9056
Jeff Cantara 603-744-6516
Tom Moore 603-744-6516
George Clayman 603-254-7345
Rob Duquette 603-744-9819
LIABILITIES: RSA 227-L 17, V: Any person, firm or corporation causing or kindling a fire without a fire permit, when such permit is required, and any person by whose negligence or the negligence of his agents any fire is caused, shall be liable in a civil action for the payment to the town, state or United States or any or all of the same of expenses incurred in attending or extinguishing such a fire and may be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine up to $2,000 and/or up to one (1) year in jail, or both.